Busy Philipps, Samira Wiley, Jameela Jamil, Brenna Huckaby and Molly Burke Join Aerie’s Body Positivity and Women’s Empowerment Movement
NEW YORK — (Business Wire) –- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) announces that Aerie will expand its #AerieREAL Role Model™ family for spring 2019, continuing to accelerate the growth of the lifestyle brand and strengthening its commitment to body positivity. Actor, The New York Times bestselling author and host of E!’s late night show BUSY TONIGHT Busy Philipps, actress and activist Samira Wiley, actor, writer and activist Jameela Jamil, gold medal para snowboarder Brenna Huckaby and creator Molly Burke will join current Role Models Iskra Lawrence, Aly Raisman, Cleo Wade and Jenna Kutcher in Aerie’s ongoing mission to empower its customers.
“The #AerieREAL Role Models are a source of inspiration for our customers and women around the world,” said Jennifer Foyle Aerie Global Brand President. “These amazing Role Models embrace the Aerie lifestyle and were chosen for their influential voices, unique stories and commitment to nurturing an inclusive, empowering community for Aerie women everywhere.”
The #AerieREAL Role Model ’19 campaign will feature real conversations around body confidence and social causes at stores across the country. Role Models will share their stories and create awareness for the causes they stand behind by appearing in unretouched images and videos in stores, online and through social marketing.
The new #AerieREAL Role Models share first-hand what being part of the campaign means to them:
- “Aerie’s campaign showing unretouched women looking beautiful and empowered help me drive home the message of self-love and confidence that I bestow on my two daughters daily.”
– Busy Philipps
- “I am here to wake everyone up the way I had to be woken up. I just want to stop people from feeling the way that I once felt by being beaten up by imagery and messaging that wasn’t real and wasn’t demonstrative of what the real world is. I am here to make change and be surrounded by people and brands who are willing to take risks and push boundaries. ”
– Jameela Jamil
- “Finding passion and purpose in everything I do is what drives me and makes me feel fulfilled and happy in my own skin. The Aerie family has truly embraced and celebrated the real me.”
– Samira Wiley
- “I wasn’t always comfortable with my body and was afraid of what people would think of me, but I’ve learned when you feel good in your own skin it absolutely shows. I want to help change the stigma behind disabilities and the opportunity to be a part of this campaign helps reinforce to ALL women that there is absolutely nothing that can stop any of us from fulfilling our dreams.”
– Brenna Huckaby
- “When my world became dark at age 4, I swore that I would use my voice to shed some light into the lives of others. I strive to be relatable, real, and not show my life as photoshopped and perfect—these imperfections are what make us real and tell our story.”
– Molly Burke
- Aerie is a pioneer within the body positivity and inclusivity movement. In 2014 the brand was among the first to stop retouching models and through #AerieREAL pledged to highlight real women in its campaigns.
- In 2016, Aerie announced its first #AerieREAL Role Model, Iskra Lawrence to champion body positivity and inclusivity.
- In 2018, Aerie launched a revolutionary 360-degree bra shopping experience that creates a positive and supportive shopping environment to help women feel good about their real selves.
- Aerie recognizes there is still work to be done and understands the importance of challenging the stereotypical standards of beauty, which helps give its customers a voice.